Preparations, props and song list for staging and dramatizing the Christmas Story in your classroom, if the teacher wishes to do this (it is optional).
Part II • Dramatizing The Christmas Story In The Classroom
Christmas Carols / Hymns*
- Do You Hear What I Hear?
- Hark, The Herald Angels Sing
- Joy To The World
- What Child Is This?
- We Three Kings Of Orient Are
People And Roles
- Song leader–it is easiest for students to sing along with an alto or tenor.
- Storyteller(s)–the teacher may wish to perform this role, and/or assign Storyteller and Composer’s Stories to different students.
- Two to five Shepherds
- Three Wise Men
- Mary and Joseph
Props, Equipment, Handouts
- An instrument (optional): piano, guitar, or a CD/MP3 player, etc. to play the Christmas carols *
- Copies of the sheet music and/or lyrics FOR ALL *
- Copies of the Joseph and Mary Dialog for Joseph and Mary
- A staff for each Shepherd (broomsticks?)
- Two robes (choir robes?) for Joseph and Mary
- Infant Jesus doll
- Blanket for Jesus
- Gift box for each Wise Man
- Bibles for all *
- The front of the classroom is the “cave.”
- Seat Joseph with Mary (holding infant Jesus) at stage center.
- Seat shepherds along a side aisle.
- Seat Wise Men along the other side aisle.
- Use masking tape to mark the stage floor eight feet away on both sides of Joseph and Mary. This will prevent Shepherds and Wise Men from crowding center stage.